Monday, July 23, 2012

Cookies for Daddy!

It's no secret!  I LOVE BAKING!  I think I mostly love baking because I love eating sweets.  Can I get a resounding "amen" on that one?

Last week I had the idea that I would get my son to bake cookies with me, & surprise Daddy with a yummy treat when he came home from work.  {ok, so maybe the cookies were partially to satisfy my craving for a home-made cookie, but can we just keep that between us?}

Mommy's little helper!

I knew that my plan would either be a fabulous success or fail dramatically with Momma & baby boy & our two kitties all crying on the floor covered in sugar & flour.

Well.......... it was a great success!  Little Bit was a huge help with measuring & pouring into the mixer bowl & licking the paddle attachment!  He was surprisingly tidy & neat & careful!  It was a lot of fun for both of us!


This sugar cookie recipe was one that I remember making with my Mom when I was young, so to begin making these with my son was a very special generational connection!

Below is our family recipe {which for all I know may be on the back of some powdered sugar box - if this is the case, please keep me in the dark - it's blissful here}




Refrigerated Sugar Cookies

Cookie:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
- Mix together butter, sugar, egg, & flavors.  Blend in dry & sifted ingredients.  Cover & chill 2-3 hours.  Keep dough in fridge & take out small portions at a time to keep dough at its best consistency.  Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4" thickness.  Cut your favorite shapes.  Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

Icing:
1 Tbsp. butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon or lime juice
2 Tbsp. water
- Cream together & spread on cooled cookies.  EAT & ENJOY!

 



2 comments: