Sunday, May 19, 2013

Remembering Our {Adoption} Adventure - part 1

For the next few weeks, I will be blogging about our adoption journey to Uganda & beyond!  The Lord took us on a sweet adventure to become a family of 3.  We were in Uganda adopting Walker for about 3 weeks.  There were ups & downs.  Highs & lows.  Joys & triumphs.

My husband & I chronicled our adventures on a private Facebook group we created to keep friends & family up to date on all the latest happenings.

This is a re-cap & remembering of our journey ONE YEAR ago!!!!

MAY 18, 2012
Good afternoon from The Pearl of Africa. WE ARE HERE! Our luggage is NOT! :( We had an eventful trip. We sat on the tarmac in NJ for about 4 hours (isn't that illegal???) Anyway, b/c our layover in Brussels was 4 hours, we missed that flight to UG. We were blessed to be able to be book on Egypt Air (an experience) to Cairo & then to Entebbe. Good news was that what would've been an 11 hour flight was broken down in 2 shorter flights! The flight from Brussels to Cairo was PACKED, & Scott & I weren't able to sit together. Weird smells, no personal TVs, middle seat, thick accents, & smaller than expected plane. But we landed in the politically unstable Egypt with no reportable events. ;) The trip from Cairo to Entebbe was awesome! Still a smaller plane w/ no personal TVs, BUT the plan was by no means full & we were able to all spread out & take a row to ourselves. We got some pretty decent rest on that flight. We arrived in UG to discover that our luggage did not. We are praying that our 3 bags make it to us TOMORROW OR BRIGHT & EARLY Sun. morning. We don't want to leave for WJ's village w/o our bags!!! Please join us in lots of praying for this...... also please pray that our luggage is perfectly in tact (nothing damaged, ransacked, or stolen which can easily happen.) Ok, I think that is enough for now. We are safely at the guesthouse & have just woken up from a nap. The driving here is CAH-RA-ZEE!!! The weather today is gorgeous! We are sitting on the balcony of our room, & the wind is blowing & I'd guess the temp is about 75ish............. a little unusual, but thrilled with this nice weather!


***Ah, yes!  That first flight we had with Egypt Air still gives me nightmares.  When the flight attendants went to the back of the plane, where I was scrunched in with two Egyptian women & their babies, and uncovered the old VHS player they used for the "security video", I just knew we were going down.  No good flights start with old, refurbished VHS players.  And then, at the end of the flight, the flight attendants walked up & down the aisles, an aerosol can in each hand, just spraying away.  It was then that I thought, this is it!  They're knocking us all out, so that they can rob us & let us rot away in some prison somewhere.  I held on to my monogrammed Vera Bradley bag for dear life.  Thankfully, Vera & I made it out of there alive, my overactive imaginative fully in tow!***

MAY 19, 2012
Happy Wedding Day to my sister & her red-headed groom!  We are SO excited for the two of you, & we are so sorry that we can't be there. Please take LOTS of pictures & send me snippets of your big day. We love you!


***It was SO HARD to miss my sister's wedding!  Early in 2012, she had to pick a wedding date, & we still didn't know when our travel dates would be.  We were told late March, then early April, then mid-April, then late April.  We finally traveled in mid-May, thus missing my sissy's wedding by a mere 3 days!  It was SO hard, but she was so kind & gracious & very non-Bridezilla about it!  They are celebrating their one year anni today, & my heart still breaks a little that we weren't there!***


No comments:

Post a Comment