Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Is he your baby?

I like to do my grocery shopping at the DeKalb Farmer's Market.

It is the greatest, most fabulous 140,000 square feet of market you'll ever experience.

A truer world market you couldn't find.

The sites.  The sounds.  The food.  The smells.

It all transports you to another world.

My favorite parts of the market are the prices, HUGE selection of all things organic, bakery, & the employees!!!

I'm not sure that a caucasian-English-as-a-first-language person even works there.  Everyone I ever see is from another country & has a STRONG accent.  I love, love, love it!

Sometimes, while getting our deli meat or freshly ground peanut butter or mango cupcakes, we have the joy of having a little bit of a conversation with one of the employees.

I usually ask questions about the country of their birth, their family, & how long they've been in the U.S.  And somewhere in our chit-chat, they ALWAYS look at Walker, look at me, & say, "Is he your baby?"

I LOVE THIS QUESTION!

I think I love this question for the following reasons:

- I LOVE that they always call Walker my "baby." Never son or kid or child. It's always "baby." ♥

- There is no judgment or disapproval.  It is always asked with a gentle voice, kind eyes, sweet smile.......... and an even bigger grin when I answer affirmatively.

- And if we have the time to talk about Walker being born in Uganda, there is always such joy to the person who asked, & they will often call one of their co-workers over & tell them too.  {big smiles}

I simply love, adore, & treasure these little moments!!!

The purity & sincerity of the question.

The joy & excitement when I confirm I'm the baby's Mommy.

It warms my heart every.single.time!

Thank you, Lord, for spontaneous moments of joy in the most mundane of errands.


2 comments:

  1. This is precious. Someone asked my mom the other day if I was her baby...why yes, I am. :)

    Oh, and I need to transport myself to the DeKalb Farmer's Market when we come visit this spring! Can't wait to go there with you (and all our babies)!

    ReplyDelete