Monday, January 14, 2013

Make 'em! Eat 'em! Love' em! {Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies}

I am a cook book snob!

I love cook books, but am very particular about the ones I let into my preppy little arsenal.

Requirements:
- be written by Southern Living or some other Southern god or goddess
- have pictures in full color & peppered throughout the book
- be altogether lovely to behold.

Simple enough!

{I'm so un-opinionated it's ridiculous}

Every once in awhile I like to go browsing back through some of my pre-approved cook books.

Getting all googely-eyed over the pictures.

Drooling over the recipes.

And scouring the pages for fantastic, previously un-tried recipes!

I just so happened to find myself in this exact situation one evening last week.

I had pulled down one of my Southern Living cookbooks & was beginning my scientific, recipe sniffing regime, when what to my snooty little nose did I find, but a White Chocolate Cherry Cookie recipe.

Oh, me! Oh, my!

Bless my chocolate-lovin' soul!

It was simply meant to be!

I mean, I pretty much detest white chocolate, but being the World Changing woman that I am, I wouldn't let a little something like that get in my way.

So, I channeled my recipe-altering friend, Elizabeth, and eliminated altogether the offensive white chocolate. Substituting it for a delicious dark chocolate.

The warm, gooey cookies were divine.

Angels sang! Church bells rang!

The cookie batter alone was worth a, "ShutTheFrontDoor!"

And here is the glorious end result!

Make 'em.  Eat 'em.  Love 'em.






 
 
Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies
{adapted from White Chocolate Cherry Cookies from Southern Living Homestyle Cookbook}
 
10 oz. dark chocolate chunks
1 cup-ish dried  cherries
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
 
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.  Stir in vanilla.  Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.  Stir in dark chocolate chunks & cherries.
3.  Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes or until golden.  Remove cookies to wire racks to cool.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment